Contents of the brief description
The following brief description explains how to conduct a publication analysis on the data basis of RWTH Publications in SciVal, the analysis tool of the company Elsevier.
Contents of the databases
What is RWTH Publications?
The institutional repository of RWTH Aachen University (RWTH Publications) is a central database which documents the university's research output. You can use just one interface to conduct a search, publish, report publication metadata and operate with internal publication records. RWTH Publications is a cooperative database. It is provided and maintained by the University Library (UB) on behalf of the Rector’s Office. Technical operation of the database is guaranteed and maintained by way of cooperation between the University Library and the IT Center of RWTH Aachen University. Entries are made by the scientists themselves or by appointed publication representatives. This should lead to a collection as complete as possible.
You can log in via RWTH Single Sign-On.
What is Scopus?
Scopus of the company Elsevier (Scopus) is a multidisciplinary database for scientific publications and their citations. The product focusses on the fields natural science, engineering technology, medicine and health science as well as social science, arts and humanities. The database of Scopus can be used anonymous via the campus-license.
What is SciVal?
The analysis tool Scival uses the bibliographic data from Scopus, but with a time limitation from 1996 to now. Scival is updated weekly and because of processing time of Elsevier, the data in SciVal can have a delay of up to two weeks compared with the data in Scopus. Scival can be used to visualize research performances, analyze publications in comparison to other institutions, develop strategic alliances and to identify research trends. The analysis tool SciVal offers publication data of more than 14.000 research institutions from more than 200 countries worldwide.
The database of Scopus can be used anonymously via the campus-lisence, whereas the usage of SciVal requieres a personal account. For this, you need to transmit data like name, e-mail adress and affiliation to institutions to Elsevier. The initial-button on the top right shows if the login was successful.
Entry Search via RWTH Publications
Entry Search via RWTH Publications
Because of the aspired completeness of the data sets in RWTH Publications and their linking to the related Scopus-ID as soon as the publications are listed in Scopus, the search with RWTH Publications is the best method to have a basis of data that is as complete as possible. Publication sets in the required amount are generated, which can later be analyzed and compared to each other via SciVal.
The used example for this brief description is the benchmark of a department belonging to the RWTH Aachen University (here: department of biology [cid:160000]) with a related institute (here: using a placeholder [cid:XXXXXX]).
Two seperate searches are conducted, that can later be analyzed in combination via SciVal.
Restrictions or excluded criteria
Limitations and excluded criteria
To generate search results that are as accurate as possible, the following criteria need to be excluded:
- Limitation to initial publications: Secondary publications have multiple publication years. To avoid double counting in multiple publication analyzes, publications with earlier publication years are excluded. [year: 2019 not year:->2018]
- Limitation to records with Scopus-ID [0247:SCOPUS*]
- Exclusion of univerity papers:
- Bachelor theses [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)2]
- Diplom theses [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)10]
- Dissertations [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)11]
- Habilitations [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)13]
- Magister theses [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)18]
- Master theses [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)19]
- Staatsexamsarbeiten [typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)30]
- Exclusion of external publications [cid:EXTERN4VITA]
- Exclusion of external events [cid:EXTERN4COORD]
- Exclusion of unpublished documents [cid:PublicReference]
- Exclusion of hosted content: hosted full texts, which are not published by members of the RWTH Aachen University [915:“Hosted Content“]
- Exclusion of authority records [980:AUTHORITY]
cid:160000 year:2019 not year:->2018 0247:SCOPUS* not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)2 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)10 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)11 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)13 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)18 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)19 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)30 not cid:EXTERN4VITA not 980:EXTERN4COORD not cid:PublicReference not 915:"hosted content" not 980:AUTHORITY
- Changing the default setting to "single list"
- Select an output format
Here: "DOIs for SCOPUS"
Warning: this selection only contains data sets that have a DOI, but Scopus also lists records without one. These ones will not show up in the result list!
Manipulation of URL
The amount of the displayed data sets needs to be increased. The settings only allow an expansion up to 100 data sets, so the URL needs to be manipulated.
- The query components must not be restricted, therefore a "&wl=0" needs to be added to the URL.
Query of the result list in Scopus
The presentation of the result list in RWTH Publications matches the syntax of Scopus‘ Advanced Search. The query can be transferred by using "copy & paste".
Attention: the last "or" must be removed!
Afterwards you confirm the search by using the Search-Button.
Export of the hit list to SciVal
Step 1: Marking the whole result list via "All".
Step 2: Choose the export-function, if SciVal is not preadjusted.
Step 3: Clear nomination of the publication sets.
Step 4: Submit via "Save and finish".
Creating a Publication Set in SciVal
The publication set can be opened within the "Trend"-module of SciVal.
Creating a second Publication Set according to the above scheme
- Query in RWTH Publications, e. g. using the IKZ of an institute: cid:XXXXXX year:2019 not year:->2018 0247:SCOPUS* not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)2 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)10 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)11 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)13 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)18 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)19 not typ:PUB:(DE-HGF)30 not cid:EXTERN4VITA not 980:EXTERN4COORD not cid:PublicReference not 915:"hosted content" not 980:AUTHORITY
- Change presentation format and manipulate the URL
- Use export format "DOIs for Scopus"
- Export of the publication set to SciVal
Switch to the benchmarking tool in SciVal
In the benchmarking module the publication sets can be called up by clicking the respective check boxes.
They can be compared as table
...or as chart.
Different assignment of the axes
Possible metrics of the y-axis:
Possible metrics of the x-axis: