How to use Zotero in 3 Minutes
Zotero is a free, open source reference management program which can be used in three different formats:
a) Zotero for Firefox: a Firefox extension which is embedded in your browser and runs independently of the platform.
b) Zotero Standalone for your desktop: an application independent of your browser (compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux).
c) Zotero bookmarklet: a web version of Zotero for users who do not wish to download software or install add-ons.
Key Features of Zotero
Zotero has a wide range of features, functions and benefits:
- data and files are automatically synced to your devices
- metadata from websites can be transferred, stored and retrieved easily via a browser icon
- PDF imports; PDF indexing
- collaborative authoring of projects
- around 7,000 citation styles are available in the Zotero Style Repository and they can be edited using the CSL Visual Editor.
Downloading and Installing
- Free software download
- Zotero Standalone can be downloaded for your desktop or you can choose to install Zotero for Firefox. A combination of the two is also possible.
RWTH Configuration Settings
In order to use the Find Full Text feature (consult the Library) in Zotero, you will need to go to the settings section and enter our OpenURL address: http://sfx.hbz-nrw.de/sfx_rwth
Plugins for Word Processing Programs
- MS Word
- Apache OpenOffice
- Support with LaTex Editors